Wednesday 14 January 2015

Net Worth at the end of 2014

Ok so I'll do a year in review for 2014!
After this I'll be doing a progress report of my net worth / portfolio at the start of every month so stay tuned!

So in 2014 I turned 18 and opened up a CommSec account and off I was into the world of investing! I'll admit 2014 was certainly steep learning curve for myself as I had never invested before so was curious as to what lied ahead.

Throughout the year I accumulated shares in CCL, AFI and just recently CTN. But by far my best decision of the year was pre-registering and buying 1000 shares at $2 of Medibank Privates IPO which are currently at $2.35 per share as of today !

The harsh lesson I earned in 2014 is that brokerage fees can really affect your portfolio and set you back. When I purchased my Coca-Cola shares I purchased them in 3 blocks over the space of just over a month and were not that big of transactions to negate the brokerage fees. I realised after that I would have been far better off if I had waited and bought in one large block.
Overall for year on the stock market I made $217 on the share market, pretty happy considering it was my first year investing! Here's to a better 2015 !







So without further ado, my whole net worth over the year of 2014 is:

Assets: $9150 in Shares of AFI, CCL, CTN & MPL
             $3000 rainy day fund sitting in a Ubank online saver earning 4%
             $1000 in my ING Debit account (waiting until I can get to $2000 to purchase more shares)

Liabilities: $0 (yay for living with parents!)

Net Worth: $13200

Check me out my net worth in comparison to other Personal finance bloggers at http://rockstarfinance.com/blogger-net-worths/

6 comments:

  1. Good luck on your journey - looks like it is going to be an interesting year for stock markets! Thanks for stopping by my blog Shelley from @MoneyMummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley, It certainly will be ! All the best to you aswell in 2015 :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your recent net worth update with us. I love this line, "yay for living with parents!" I stayed at home for many years into adulthood and used it to my advantage. Stay with mom/dad as long as possible and save as much as you can, start a business, invest in dividend stocks. You'll have that much of a stronger financial base than most your age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith ! Yeah realised free accomodation isn't going to last forever so I have to make the most of it while I can! Thanks again for your advice and helpful tips :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the net worth tracking club!

    You're now on our blogger list :)

    http://rockstarfinance.com/blogger-net-worths/

    ReplyDelete